Friday, September 11, 2009

One person can make a difference....

Was incredibly inspired by simple, brief interaction with a sales clerk at a health food store in Maui, Hawaii. Upon checking out I saw a poster - apparently made by herself - showing the enormous mounds of trash that made up one of the Maui landfills. I'd asked her what the poster was about - what point she was trying to convey, other than that the pictures were horrifying.. beautiful, stunning Maui with out of control landfills on its premises. She was drawing attention to all the plastic bags that we use for groceries, most or all of which end up in that or other landfills. It's not that I had not thought of this before - I have several canvas bags that I can use to put groceries in. What drew me in was how passionate she was about sharing this message. She was quite direct and authoritative about minimizing our wastefullness on this earth. Inspired me to pull out those canvas bags and start using them... and that one person/ voice can make a difference...

No comments:

Post a Comment