Thursday, September 17, 2009

High Intensity Lower Body Tri-Set Routine

I wanted to share a lower body tri-set routine I did last night that is likely to leave you, well, let's just say.. a little sore.

A tri-set is a set of three back to back exercises. In my case, I was focused on hamstrings/glutes/low back, what's called the posterior chain.

I started moderately heavy in weight and moved progressively heavier with each successive set. I did 5 total working sets for 15 total sets. I rested about 2 1/2 minutes in between each set. All of this was completed in about 45 minutes. I finished with some ab exercises.

The exercises included:

Dumbbell stiff-legged deadlifts - In my case, I started with 70 pound dumbbells and ended with 90 pound dumbbells. I did 8 reps/set.

Followed with little to no rest by..

Standing 'single leg' leg curls (done on the standing leg curl machine) - I used about 5 plates and did about 10 reps/leg/set.

Followed with little rest by...

Leg press with a very high and wide stance (feet high and apart targets hamstrings and adductors). I used 3-4 45 pound plates/side for 10 reps.

If you do this right, you will probably be dripping with sweat by the end of the tri-set.

Have fun with this or some other combination you create!

No comments:

Post a Comment