Friday, September 11, 2009

Fit Tip #1...

Thought I'd start by sharing regular updates on things that work for me as relates to diet, training and nutrition. Hopefully, this will evolve to two-way discussion where "readers" share their inputs on things that have worked well for them as well..

Tip #1:

Definition:
Compound Exercise -
An exercise that involves two or more joint movements.

An example of an excellent compound exercise is the basic squat movement with a free weight bar. Squats work glutes, quads, hamstrings among other stabilizing muscle groups.

What's worked very well for me is to have the majority of exercises that comprise my weight workout/routine to consist of compound movements versus isolated, single joint movements, such as a leg extension. I still do isolated lifts, but majority of my lifting consists of these compound movements. More bang for the buck, if you will.

Example from tonight's workout: deadlifts and goodmornings

No comments:

Post a Comment